Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG)
The pupil deprivation grant (PDG) is allocated to schools with pupils who come from low income families and are currently known to be eligible for free school meals (e-FSM) and pupils who have been looked after continuously for more than six months (LAC).
Schools are expected to make the best use of this funding to implement sustainable strategies that will quickly bring about changes for learners eligible for free school meals or those who are LAC.
The following is an excerpt from our Prospectus:
The Pupil Deprivation Grant (PDG) and Education Improvement Grant (EIG) is the Welsh Government’s principal means of providing financial support for the three national priorities for schools: Improving standards in Literacy, improving standards in Numeracy and improving the impact of poverty on educational attainment. For the academic year 2017/2018 Ysgol Bryn Hedydd has received a £95,576. We are using the grant to fund the following activities:
· Employment of Teaching Assistants to work with targeted children either one-to-one or in small groups to undertake ‘Catch Up’ Literacy and Numeracy sessions.
· Employment of Teaching Assistants to undertake several of the STT approaches:
feedback/meta-cognition/small group working and one to one tuition to improve self
confidence and social skills in particular working/co-operating with others.
· Release of teacher in morning session to undertake group work with Free School Meal (FSM) pupils to increase attainment levels.
· Cluster Transition / Peer mentoring for FSM pupils project. A more supported and seamless transition for students on FSM to High School to ensure academic attainment does not dip.
· Investment in technology to enhance learning and life opportunities.
· Development of self esteem groups for FSM and Looked After Children (LAC) groups through external activities.
· Release time for staff to work on the new ‘Curriculum for Wales’ document.
The impact and evaluation of these activities will be undertaken on a regular basis.
Croeso to our school website! We believe that every step of your child's education is as important as the one before. With this in mind, we strive continually to provide inspiring learning experiences for children.